This article is about the ways to get rid of a dry cough. Coughing is the most common problem which everyone experience once in a while. Coughing is basically, expelling the mucus from your lungs and upper airway passages. But in a dry cough, there is no production of mucus in the lungs. A dry cough is the result of infection by cold and flu viruses which irritates your throat. Chest pain, congestion and itchy throat are the symptoms of a dry cough. Treating dry cough is not a big deal. However, treating it fast is a major concern. Here, in this article, we will tell you about the different remedies to get rid of a dry cough.
Symptoms of a Dry Cough:
Causes of a Dry Cough:
- GERD– Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Postnasal drip
- Common cold
Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Dry Cough:
1.) Salt Water to Get Rid of a Dry Cough
Salt water is a popular remedy for a sore throat. It can ease the discomfort which is caused by a dry cough. Gargling with salt water will reduce the swelling of the throat.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat a Dry Cough Fast:
- Take a tsp of salt and 8 ounces of warm water and mix it well.
- Gargle with this salty water for 15 seconds and spit it.
- Don’t swallow the water. Repeat it again.
- Then, rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Gargle with this salt water daily for a few days.
2.) Turmeric to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Naturally
Steps to Use Turmeric to Cure a Dry Cough Fast:
- Take a half cup of water and heat it.
- Now add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of black pepper to it.
- You can also add cinnamon sticks to it. Boil it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and drink this herbal drink until the condition improves.
- Another option is to take a turmeric root and roast it. Grind this roasted turmeric root in a smooth powder. Add water and honey to it. Drink it 2 times a day.
3.) Ginger to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Overnight
Ginger is one of the popular remedies to treat any type of cough.
Steps to Use Ginger to Get Relief from a Dry Cough Fast:
- Take fresh ginger and cut it into slices.
- Crush them and put it in a cup of water. Now boil it.
- Drink this herbal solution 3 to 4 times a day to get relief from cough symptoms.
- You can also add honey and lemon juice to it.
- You can chew fresh ginger throughout the day to reduce a dry cough.
4.) Onion to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Fast
Onion is one of the simplest home remedies for a dry cough. Breathing in the strong vapors may help you to get rid of a dry cough.
Steps to Use Onion to Treat a Dry Cough Quickly:
- Prepare a cough syrup from baked onion juice, honey and comfrey tea.
- Drink this cough syrup daily to get relief from a dry cough.
5.) Garlic to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Naturally and Fast
Garlic contains both antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help to treat a dry cough.
Steps to Use Garlic for Dry Cough Treatment:
- Take 2 to 3 cloves of garlic and boil it in a cup of water.
- Add 1 tsp of oregano in it. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Add a little honey and drink to it. This will help to eliminate cough symptoms.
- You can also add garlic in your cooking.
6.) Lemon to Treat a Dry Cough Naturally
Steps to Use Lemon to Get Rid of Whooping Cough:
- Make a cough syrup by combining 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Drink this healthy and effective syrup many times a day until you get satisfactory results.
7.) Cayenne to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Fast
Cayenne helps to reduce chest pain which occurs due to continuous coughing. It is also stimulating and warming.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Treat a Dry Cough Fast:
- Prepare a healthy cough syrup by adding one-fourth tsp of cayenne pepper, one-fourth tsp of ground ginger, 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of honey and 2 tbsp of water.
- Drink this syrup 2 to 3 times a day.
8.) Carrot Juice to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Fast & Naturally
Carrots contain many vitamins and nutrients that help to relieve symptoms of a dry cough.
Steps to Use Carrot Juice to Treat a Dry Cough:
- Prepare fresh juice from 4 to 5 carrots and add some water to dilute it.
- To add a taste and benefits add 1 tsp of honey to it.
- Drink this juice 3 to 4 times a day until the symptoms is gone.
9.) Almonds to Get Rid of a Dry Cough Fast
Almonds have nutritional properties which play a vital role in healing dry cough symptoms.
Steps to Use Almonds to Cure a Dry Cough:
- Soak 5 to 6 almonds in water for at least 8 hours.
- Make a smooth paste by these soaked almonds and add 1 tsp of butter to it.
- Consume it 3 to 4 times a day until your dry cough is gone.
10.) Hot Milk With Honey to Treat a Dry Cough Naturally
Drinking hot milk with honey can relieve a dry cough and reduce chest pain which is caused by continuous coughing. For best results, drink it before bedtime. You can also swallow a tsp of plain honey on an empty stomach. This will help to soothe your throat.
Other Useful Tips:
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of water. Drinking lots of water helps in relieving dry cough.
- Quit smoking as smoke may irritate your throat which causes a dry cough.
- Avoid dust and other allergens to treat a dry cough.
- Avoid drinking or eating too cold that can irritate your throat.
- Maintaining a good hygiene is the best way to avoid getting a cough. Wash your hands with soap and water to protect yourself from infection.
- Avoid yelling or shouting.
- Get proper sleep especially when you have a sore throat.