Do you need to go for an important meeting the next day and today you see a red blister on your lips? Don’t think that it is not a big problem and don’t avoid it because after a few hours later you will experience itching and pain which is enough to ruin your day and meeting. This red blister is nothing but a cold sore. Relax! This article is going to solve your problem. Just read it and find out some new and easy ways to get rid of cold sores overnight. This article concentrates on the remedies which will help you get rid of the cold sores overnight.
Cold sore is the cluster of blisters which outbreaks mostly on the border of the lips. They can be developed in the other parts of the body as well. Cold sores are of two types – oral and genital. Oral cold sores are generally developed on the lips and near the mouth while genital cold sores are developed on the pubic area. Cold sore outbreaks when one gets infected with the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). HSV does not necessarily affect you instantly. You might get infected with it today, but the symptoms of infection might show up after some time. It enters the body and pops out later on because of various factors.
Cold sores are mostly mild but sometimes they develop complications. Primary herpes stomatitis is a kind of virus which affects the children of age group 1-3.
Symptoms of Cold Sores:
How do you know that the red blisters on your skin are cold sores or not? Learn about the symptoms of cold sores and treat them well. If you have the following symptoms then, that small patch on your face is really a cold sore:
- Cold sores are generally marked by a bunch of tiny blisters, filled with liquid.
- The blisters pop and leave some fluid, then forms a crust over the skin.
- They generate tingling, itching and eroded gums.
- Cold sore brings fever with it.
- The affected area becomes swollen and turns red.
- It is very painful for some people.
- When children get affected, they drool.
- While reoccurring, it occupies the same place and this time it’s less painful and less effective than the last time.
Causes of Cold Sores:
- “Why is it on my face? Is my skin so sensitive? It was so clean, but now this sore has ruined it… why me?” Such questions might hit you when you look at your cold sore. Herpes Simplex Virus is a very harmful and can easily travel from one person to the other. Well, here are the causes because of which you suffer from the cold sore:
- Talking in medical terms, cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus which is very contagious in nature.
- It enters your body and reaches ganglion after penetrating your nerves.
- They are generally followed by fever.
- Hormonal changes due to the menstrual cycle, increase the chances of an outbreak of cold sores.
- Mental stress and depression also lead to the outbreak of cold sores.
- Physical fatigue and tiredness can be the reason behind the development of the virus.
- If you have a weak immune system then you are more vulnerable towards this virus.
- If you have gone through any cosmetic surgery, then it increases the chances of its outbreak.
- Damage to the lips can also result in its outbreak.
- Food allergy or having spicy food may also lead to cold sores.
- The virus gets transferred to children when they get kissed by the infected person.
- Touching the fluid leaking from the blisters.
- Comes in contact with the saliva of the infected person leads to the development of the virus.
- Sharing utensils and sanitary/ toiletry of the infected person assures you the transfer of the Virus.
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight also develops the virus.
How Long Cold Sores Last?
Cold sores generally arise when the immune system gets weak or the lips are injured. If you do not treat the cold sores then they last up to 7 to 10 days. According to some medical specialist, people with weaker immunity can suffer from cold sores for more than 6 weeks. However, if you know well about the stages of cold sores you can control it. A good antiviral cream will not kill the virus but it definitely stops it from reproducing. So keep on reading the article so that you can stop the development of the sore in the right stage.
Stages of a Cold Sore:
Tingle Stage: This is the very first stage of a cold sore. There will be a few symptoms like that particular area of skin will become tight and itchy. The affected area can also become red and swollen. You can apply Abreva cream at this stage for best results.
Blister Stage: During this stage, you will find a couple of small blisters. They are filled with liquid and the surrounding skin is red and swollen. These painful bumps can also multiply and grow. Make sure that you do not squeeze the blisters.
Ulcer Stage: This is one of the most painful stages because the blister burst and an open sore develop. There is a red ring of inflammation formed around the affected area. In this stage, you need to wash the affected area with cold water and soap to prevent infection.
Scabbing Stage: In this stage, the blister dries up and a yellow scab is formed. When the scab shrinks there are painful cracks that are prone to bleed. Here you will experience a lot of itching and burning sensation.
Healing Stage: In this stage, you will notice some dry flaking and residual swelling. The affected area will be slightly pink or red. You can apply an antiseptic cream to promote faster healing.
Ways to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight:
Cold sores are mostly painful and sometimes embarrassing. You want to go to a party but might have to cancel the plan due to the ugly sore which has popped up on your face. But canceling your plan because of a cold sore is really not a good idea. There are some overnight remedies by which you can get rid of your cold sores overnight. These methods cannot diminish the sore overnight, but would definitely give you some relief that would help you cope with your plans.
1.) Ice to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
When you are in pain you just can’t think of anything else. You just want something that can help you to get rid of pain instantly. Ice numbs the area and hence the pain and redness reduce instantly. Ice is a very potential overnight remedy to kill your cold sore. Because of its watery qualities, it heals the bruises and pain. Also, it helps to reduce the inflammation and swelling caused on the skin. This makes it as one of the best home remedies to get rid of cold sores overnight.
- What you have to do is take at least three ice cubes,
- Put them in a piece of cloth and apply it on the sore directly.
- It will have an instant effect on the redness and swelling.
- Repeat the process, several times a day for better recovery.
You must be aware of the other uses of alcohol but treating the cold sore is an unknown quality it possesses. Alcohol is a drying agent which helps the fluids in the blisters to dry out. It is a potent disinfectant and minimizes the risk of bacterial contamination. Alcohol can prove to be a very advantageous overnight remedy to cure the cold sores. It has anti-virus abilities which, when applied directly, will have a strong and an instant effect on the sore.
Steps to Follow:
- What you have to do is take some alcohol in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton in that and apply the cotton on the sores directly and it’s done.
- Place it on the affected area for a few minutes then remove.
- Repeat the process several times a day for better results.
3.) Tea Bags to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Hot tea bags are one of the simplest and instant methods of getting rid of the cold sores. They provide micro-nutrients that would protect the cell and even repair it. Thus, making it as an effective home remedy to get rid of cold sores.
- Take a mild hot tea bag, keep on the sore for a few minutes and see the effect.
- Repeat it few more times and it will give you quicker results.
4.) Garlic to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Garlic is yet another beneficial overnight remedy for the cold sores. It gives you instant relief from the itching caused due to dryness of the cold sores. This makes it as one of the effective home remedies to get rid of cold sores, naturally.
- Cut the garlic into small cloves and apply it to your sore.
- This will give you quicker results than any medicine.
- It lessens the itching and after using it, one will not wish to scratch it.
5.) Peppermint Oil to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Peppermint oil does not only have the instant effect, but it also makes sure that the sore goes away with no point of return. It has menthol, which acts as a healing herb and fights the infection causing the virus.
- Just put a few drops of the oil on a paper towel.
- Apply it on the sore directly.
- Repeat the remedy several times a day for better results.
6.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
This overnight remedy is the key ingredient to almost all the skin problems. Aloe Vera is a highly ranked home remedy and has received much praise with people swearing for its magical health benefits.
- Take a cotton pad and put some Aloe Vera cream on it.
- Apply it on the cold sores several times a day.
- Immediate shrinkage of the scar will be visible by the end of the day.
7.) Vanilla Extract to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
This great smelling ingredient not only adds flavor to food but also helps to get rid of cold sores. There are mainly two reasons behind this. The pure vanilla extract contains 35% alcohol by volume due to which the viral infection is reduced fast. The anti-inflammatory properties present in vanilla extract lowers the pain.
Steps to Follow:
- Take a bowl and pour some pure vanilla extract.
- Soak a cotton swab in vanilla extract.
- Place this cotton on the sore for about a minute.
- Repeat this process 4 times daily for positive results.
8.) Peroxide to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
This overnight remedy will relieve you quickly from the cold sore. Because of its natural antibiotic, this liquid substance might help you get rid of your cold sore, effectively and permanently.
- What you have to do is first clean your sore with fresh water properly.
- Apply the liquid on your sore with the cotton.
- Leave it for a for a few minutes then wash off.
- Repeat the remedy regularly for effective results.
9.) Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Petroleum Jelly can prove to be a very effective overnight remedy to treat your cold sore. Yes, it is the same jelly which is kept in your drawer and you tend to look at it when your lips get chapped or the skin gets dry. You apply it on your skin to make it smooth and silky. Applying it directly on the sore will help you get rid of the pain and itching.
- Apply it on your cold sore before you go to bed.
- When you wake up in the morning, you can see the results.
- Keep on repeating the process regularly to get rid of cold sores overnight, permanently.
10.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Yes, salt water! You might not believe at first place but salt water is also one of the most speedy and effective ways of treating your cold sore. This is because salt and hot water help to reduce the inflammation, get rid of bacteria and also dries the blister. It will eventually help to treat the cause, permanently.
- Take a bowl of salt water and dip some cotton pads in it.
- Now squeeze the pad lightly and apply it on your cold sore.
- Do it for some time and you can see the effect the next morning.
11.) Lemon Balm to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Lemon balm which is a member of the mint family helps to reduce the healing time of cold sores and also prevents their re-occurrence in future. Researchers suggest using a lip balm with at least 1% of lemon extracts for beneficial results.
- Either apply the lemon extract lip balm daily or,
- As an alternative, use a hot lemon compress.
- Lemon balm infused tea can also be used for effective results.
12.) Lysine to Get Rid of Cold Sores Overnight
Lysine has amino acids present in it that can help to prevent the breakouts and any future flare ups. Regular intake can also help to reduce the intensity of cold sore flare-ups. Thus, making it as an effective home remedy to get rid of cold sores, permanently.
- Simply include Lysine supplements in your diet.
- Get it from the drug store and do not forget to go through the direction on the bottle.
- Read every bit of the mentioned information before consumption.
- If necessary, you can also consult your doctor about its consumption and dosage.
- This is just for extra precautions.