In this article, we will discuss about itchy eyes and remedies to get rid of itchy eyes. Itchy eyes mean an unpleasant sensation or irritation in and around the eyes, eye allergies and allergic conjunctivitis. Itching in the eyes is a common problem. Itching in the eyes is caused due to various common reasons. Allergic conjunctivitis can happen at any age and they are more common in adults rather than children. It can be acute or chronic.
Types of Allergic Conjunctivitis:
- First, seasonal conjunctivitis, which is common and happen only at certain times of the year. It occurs during spring and autumn season, by exposure to allergies in the air like pollen, trees, weeds and grass.
- The other type is, perennial allergic conjunctivitis occurs throughout the year, by exposure to dust.
Causes of Itchy Eyes:
- Bacterial infections.
- Dryness of the eyes.
- Sensitivity to certain cosmetic products.
- Improper hygiene, while using contact lenses can induce itching.
- Warm climate and pet dander increase itching of the eyes.
- Eczema, asthma and allergic rhinitis can cause itching of the eyes.
Symptoms of Itchy Eyes:
- Irritated eyes.
- Inflamed eyelids.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Clear, watery discharge.
- Blurred vision.
- Gritty feeling in the eyes.
- Continuous Itching.
- Conjunctiva and inflammation.
- Burning sensation of the eye.
- A runny nose (nasal congestion).
- Swollen eyelids.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes:
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that help to get rid of itchy eyes. Apple cider vinegar is a useful remedy for the various health problem, it also works effectively for treating itchy eyes. Apple cider vinegar helps to fight infection, which leads to eye itching. Use this remedy by following these methods.
- Take a cup of water and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix one tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Stir it well.
- Then wash your itchy eyes from this solution to get relief.
2.) Water to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Water is essential for our life. Water connects with various problems and it works as a great remedy for treating various health problems. The more you consume water, it will give greater effects to you. It is important to drink plenty of water regularly to stay hydrated. It will help you to get relief from irritation and itchy eyes.
Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water every day to keep your eyes hydrated. This will help you to prevent from itchy eyes.
3.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Aloe Vera is a natural home remedy. Use Aloe Vera for getting great results, and to get relief from itchy eyes. Aloe Vera not only works effectively for various health issues, it is also working effectively for treating itchy eyes and irritation. Follow these methods to use this natural remedy.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf, a half cup of elderberry blossom tea and 1 tsp of honey.
- Cut the fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel from it.
- Then mix the gel with a half cup of elderberry blossom tea and with 1 tsp of honey.
- Wash your eyes with this mixture.
- Repeat this daily at least 2 times a day until you won’t get relief.
4.) Green Tea to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Green tea is a beneficial remedy for itchy eyes. Green tea contains anti-inflammatory properties, which are not only beneficial for other health issues related to skin, hair and stomach. In fact, it is a beneficial remedy for itchy eyes and irritation too. Follow these methods.
- Take a cup of distilled water and 2 green tea bags.
- Boil 2 green tea bags in a cup of distilled water.
- Make a tea of it and wash your eyes when it will get cold.
- Then when it will get cool then wash off your eyes through this green tea.
- Wash your eyes through this remedy 2-3 times a day.
5.) Cucumber to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Cucumber is the finest remedy for itchy eyes. Cucumber contains cooling properties that help in the reduction of swelling and irritation of the eyes. Cucumber not only reduces dark circles of the eyes, it also helps to get rid of itchy eyes and for quick relief. Methods to use this remedy are given below.
- Take a cucumber and a knife.
- Clean the cucumber properly and make thin slices of it.
- Put the slices of cucumber into a refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Then put the cooled slices of cucumber on your eyes.
- Repeat this remedy 3-4 times a day.
6.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Fenugreek is an excellent remedy for itchy eyes. Fenugreek is known as a natural ingredient, which you can use to prevent from itchy eyes. Fenugreek seeds are beneficial for itchy eyes. Follow this remedy to get rid of itchy eyes. Use these methods to get relief.
- Take some fenugreek seeds and some cold water.
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 10 hours.
- Then grind the seeds with water to make a thick paste of it.
- Apply, fenugreek seeds paste on your eyes for 15 minutes.
- Then rinse it with cold water.
- Repeat this method at least 2 times a day.
7.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Cold compress gives greater effects to get rid of itchy eyes faster. For instant relief, use cold compresses for reducing redness and itching of the eye. Use chamomile tea bags for the cold compress. Methods to use this remedy.
- Take some ice cold water and a cloth.
- Soak a cloth into the ice cold water.
- Then apply it on your eyes, it will give you relief.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day.
- You can also place chamomile tea bags on your eyes.
8.) Raw Potatoes to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
If you are facing a problem with itchy eyes. If there is any trouble with itching eyes, then raw potatoes are the best option for treating your eyes. Use this remedy to get relief from itchy eyes. Methods to use.
- Take a raw, cleaned potato
- Cut it into thin round slices. Then keep the thin slices into a refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Then put the slices of cold potato on your eyes for 20-25 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
9.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Use baking soda as a remedy for itchy eyes. Baking soda helps to fight infections and it also soothes the eyes. Follow these methods to use this remedy.
- Take ½ cup of water and ¼ tsp of baking soda.
- Add ¼ tsp of baking soda into a ½ cup of water.
- Make a solution of it.
- Then rinse off your eyes with this solution thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy until you won’t get relief.
10.) Cold Milk to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes
Milk is known as the best remedy for itchy eyes. It works as a cold compress too. Cold milk will give you relief from itching. Use this best home remedy to get instant relief from irritation. Use these methods to get amazing effects.
- Take a glass of cold milk and a cotton ball.
- Dip the cotton ball in cold water.
- Rub the cotton ball around your eyes.
- Keep the cotton on your eyes for 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day to get instant relief.