Sometimes you noticed that your eyes turn into red color. Actually, we all experienced red eyes from time to time which may affect one or both the eyes. Tiredness and being awake for long hours or you are staring continuously in front of the tv and laptop screen resulting redness in the eyes. Red eyes are painful and ugly. Redness in the eyes occurs when the blood vessels in your eye become irritated and swollen. Redness of the eye also known as bloodshot eyes or pink eye. This article will tell you some best treatments to get rid of red eye. These remedies are best and reduce the redness of the eye effectively.
Symptoms of Red Eye:
Causes of Red Eye:
Methods to Get Rid of Red Eye:
- Methods to Get Rid of Red Eye:
- 1.) Eye Drops to Get Rid of Red Eye
- 2.) Saline Solution to Treat Red Eye Fast
- 3.) Black Tea to Cure Red Eye Fast & Naturally
- 4.) Cold or Warm Compress to Treat Red Eye Fast
- 5.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Red Eye at Home
- 6.) Milk and Honey to Treat Red Eye Fast & Naturally
- 7.) Breast Milk to Treat Red Eye in Babies
- 8.) Aloe Vera to Treat Red Eye Naturally
- 9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Red Eye Fast
- 10.) Calendula to Treat Red Eye Naturally
1.) Eye Drops to Get Rid of Red Eye
There are different types of eye drops which are recommended for different circumstances. Most eye drops work by regenerating the blood vessels in the eyes. Too much use of these eye drops may get dependent on them. Preservative-free eye drops are the most natural for your eyes.
2.) Saline Solution to Treat Red Eye Fast
Using saline solution is the popular home remedy for red eye as it acts as a natural disinfectant.
Steps to Use Saline Solution to Treat Pink Eye:
- Boil a cup of distilled water and add 1 tsp of salt to it.
- Let it to cool and use an eyecup or dropper for eyewash.
- Repeat it many times a day.
3.) Black Tea to Cure Red Eye Fast & Naturally
Black tea is a good home remedy for red eyes because it contains tannins that help to reduce inflammation and itching. Black tea also contains bioflavonoids which fight bacterial and viral infections.
Steps to Use Black Tea to Treat Red Eye:
- Put moist and cooled black tea bags on your eyes for 10 minutes.
- Do it 3 to 4 times a day in every few hours.
- You can also use chamomile or green tea bags.
4.) Cold or Warm Compress to Treat Red Eye Fast
A cold compress is used to reduce the swelling and itching caused by red-eye. Warm compress is also used to soothe the eyes. They help to prevent the discharge from your eyes from drying on eyelashes.
Steps to Use Cold or Warm Compress to Cure Red Eye:
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in cold or hot water and squeeze it out.
- Put the cloth on the affected eyes. Keep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 or 4 times a day.
- Don’t use the same cloth for both the eyes especially when one eye is infected.
5.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Red Eye at Home
Boric acid is best for numerous eye problems like dryness, redness, tearing and a burning sensation due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also cleanse the eyes and soothes the eye irritation.
Steps to Use Boric Acid to Cure Red Eye:
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp of boric acid to it.
- Use this solution for eyewash or you can apply to the eye with clean cotton balls.
- Wash your eyes with lukewarm water. Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day.
6.) Milk and Honey to Treat Red Eye Fast & Naturally
Both the warm milk and honey can soothe and treat red eye naturally. Milk calms the inflammation and has soothing effect while honey has antimicrobial properties.
Steps to Use Milk and Honey to Get Relief from Red Eye:
- Heat 1 tbsp of whole milk.
- Now add an equal amount of honey to it.
- Stir it until it becomes smooth.
- Put 2 or 3 drops of this mixture in the infected red eye using an eye dropper.
- Do this method several times a day. You can also use a warm compress.
7.) Breast Milk to Treat Red Eye in Babies
Breast milk is highly effective in getting rid of the red eye, especially in babies. Breast milk has healing properties that help to treat red eye and ear infections because it contains immunoglobulin E.
Steps to Use Breast Milk to Get Rid of Red Eye Fast:
- Put a few drops of breast milk in the infected eye.
- Repeat it as needed.
8.) Aloe Vera to Treat Red Eye Naturally
Aloe Vera is one of the best natural remedies for treating red eye. Aloe vera has antibiotic and astringent properties which help to cure redness in the eye.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Red Eye:
- Take a cup of cooled boiled water and soak chunks of fresh aloe vera gel to it until it turns into pale green.
- You can also blend the pieces with water.
- Put a few drops of this mixture in the red eye, 3 to 4 times a day.
- You can also use it as an eye wash.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Red Eye Fast
Apple cider vinegar contains antimicrobial properties that help to fight an infection causing red eye. Due to the presence of malic acid in unpasteurized ACV fights bacterial infections.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Red Eye:
- Take 2 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar and add it to a cup of filtered water.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and wipe the affected eye with this cotton ball.
- Do this for 2 to 3 days in every few hours.
10.) Calendula to Treat Red Eye Naturally
Calendula is a herb which contains antibacterial and antiviral properties. Due to the presence of these properties, it helps to fight infection and heal red eyes.
Steps to Use Calendula to Get Rid of Bloodshot Eyes:
- Heat a cup of water and add 2 tsp of dried calendula leaves to it.
- Allow it to steep and cool, then strain the solution through a clean cloth.
- Wash your eyes with this solution several times for the whole day.
Useful Tips to Prevent Red Eyes:
- Do not rub your eyes as rubbing may cause more redness and irritation in your eyes.
- Maintain good hygiene while wearing contact lenses.
- Consult a doctor for treating red eyes.
- Don’t use the computer for a long time. Take a break and look away from your laptop screen every 20 minutes.
- Do not overuse whitening eye drops as they may cause red eye.
- Take proper sleep as lack of sleep is also the cause of red eye.
- Avoid swimming because pool contains chlorine which is not good for your eyes.
- Wear shades or goggles when you are going out to protect your eye from sunlight.