This article is about the remedies to get rid of thigh cramp. If you have ever woken up in the middle of the night or when you walk, suddenly you feel pain in your thigh muscles. That means it is a thigh cramp. Thigh cramps or cramps occur due to involuntary contractions of one or more muscles. It can occur for numerous reasons.
It is caused by overuse of thigh muscle, deficiency of calcium and potassium, dehydration, muscle injuries, and muscles spasm. Thigh cramp or any other muscle cramp affects 79 percent of athletes, 39 percent of runners and 60 percent of cyclists. All types of cramps are very painful and can disrupt your activities such as sleep. Thigh cramps don’t need any medical attention. It is usually treated by massage, stretching, exercise and diet. This article helps you to get rid of thigh cramp. Follow some tips that are discussed in this article and you will get relief from thigh cramp.
Symptoms of Thigh Cramp:
- Weakness in muscles
- Severe discomfort
Causes of Thigh Cramp:
Knowing the causes of some problem is the most important thing in order to get rid it. Causes helps with precautions and better treatment. When we talk about thigh cramp, there can be a number of reasons for that.
- Poor Blood Circulation – This is one of the most common cause of thigh cramps. When the circulation of blood in your body is poor then it increases the chances of leg cramps. So, it is important to eat healthy to improve blood circulation.
- Improper Stretching – If you go for exercise or jogging before stretching properly then there are increased chances of you suffering from thigh cramps. So, before going for running or exercise, make sure that you do proper stretching. Also, insufficient stretching after exercise might also lead to thigh cramp.
- Overexertion on Muscles – If you put too much pressure on your legs then it may lead to thigh cramps. If your job makes you put too much pressure on your leg, it is advised to take small breaks in between.
- Muscle Fatigue – In this case you are advised to take proper rest. When your muscles are tired then you suffer with muscle cramps.
- Dehydration – Dehydration is also one of the main causes of thigh cramp. When your body loses water, it affects your muscles directly. So, you are advised to keep your body hydrated and drink at 7-8 glasses of water per day.
- Deficiency of Minerals – Deficiency of minerals like potassium and magnesium in your body can also be the reason of frequent cramps.
- Pregnancy – Pregnancy is also among the main causes of thigh cramps. A pregnant woman can suffer from frequent leg cramps. And, this can be the symptom of calcium deficiency in pregnant woman.
- Alcoholism – If you are addicted to alcohol, then you may also suffer from thigh cramps.
- Neuromuscular Disorder – If you are suffering with some Neuromuscular disorder then it can show thigh cramps as it symptoms.
Ways to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp:
Here are some valuable tips to treat thigh cramp.
1.) Stretching to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp
Before treating a thigh cramp you need to identify which muscle on your thigh is actually in pain.
If you have a cramp at the back of your thigh then stretch your hamstring.
- Use a belt or towel, lay down on the ground and raise your affected leg.
- Wrap the towel or belt around the ball of your foot.
- Hold the ends of the belt or towel and gently pull your leg back.
- You can also massage the hamstring using one hand as you pull your leg back.
Stretch your quads if you are having cramp on the front of your thigh.
- Stand straight and bend the affected leg up towards your butt.
- If you can hold your foot and pull it towards your butt and stretch it deeper.
- Keep your knee in line with thigh so that you don’t injure the muscles.
- Pull your leg very gently and increase the stretch as the pain in your leg releases.
- You can also walk in between stretching to relax your muscles.
2.) Massage to Treat a Thigh Cramp
Massage is one of the most effective ways to get rid of thigh cramp because it helps to increase the circulation within the tissues of the muscles. Along with stretching, massage can also reduce the pain.
Steps to Massage to Treat Thigh Cramp:
- Massage your affected thigh with your hands.
- Press the affected area gently with your hands and apply pressure.
- Keep applying the pressure up til you can bear the pain.
3.) Heat to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp Fast
Using heat on a muscle cramp is extremely effective to relax the muscle contraction and reduce the pain. It helps to minimize tight muscles. Thus making it as one of the effective treatments to get rid of thigh cramps.
Steps to Use Heat to Treat Thigh Cramp:
- Take a warm bath or a hot shower to get relief from a muscle cramp.
- The hot water also promotes blood flow to the muscles.
- Adding Epsom salt to a warm bath can also help to relieve cramps.
- All you need to do is simply add Epsom salt to your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak your body in it for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat daily for effective results.
- Use a heating pad and place it on the affected area.
- Over the counter heat rubs and compresses also help to get rid of thigh cramps and relax the aching muscles.
4.) Diet to Treat Thigh Cramp Naturally
Some low levels of nutrients such as Potassium and calcium may stimulate muscle cramps. Take these nutrients in your diet which minimizes the muscle cramps.
Diet Plans to Get Relief from Thigh Cramps Fast:
- To get potassium, eat bananas and oranges.
- To get magnesium, eat almonds, brown rice, and avocados.
- Calcium is found in spinach, milk, yogurt and other dairy products.
- Including these foods in your daily diet and religiously following the diet plan will help you to get rid of thigh cramps.
- It will also prevent their recurrence in future.
5.) Hydrate Yourself to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp
Dehydration is also the main cause of thigh cramps. Drink enough water to avoid leg cramps. This will not only help to get rid of thigh cramps but prevent their recurrence in future. Also, apt amount of fluids in your body will meet the body’s mineral requirement, thus maintaining a healthy immune system.
- You can also prefer flavored drinks or juices in conjunction with water throughout the day.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water in a day to keep yourself hydrated.
- Preparing a few water drinks can also help you to savor the taste of water.
Few of which is given below.
- Strawberry, Lemon and Basil infused water.
- Orange and Blueberry infused water.
- Watermelon and Mint Infused water.
- Orange and Cucumber Infused Water
- Rosemary and Grapes infused water.
- Raspberry, Rose and Vanilla infused water.
6.) Clove Oil to Treat Thigh Cramp Fast & Naturally
Due to the presence of anti-inflammatory properties in clove oil, it helps to reduce muscle cramp swelling and inflammation. It also has an anesthetic property which reduces pain, thus making it as one of the effective home remedy to get rid of thigh cramps.
Steps to Use Clove Oil to Prevent Thigh Cramps:
- Heat some clove oil if necessary otherwise keep it normal.
- Rub it on the aching area.
- Massage your area for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process again if required.
- This will help to get rid of thigh cramps fast.
7.) Black Strap Molasses to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp
If your aching thigh is due to the deficiency of potassium and calcium, then black strap molasses is a good option for you. Black strap molasses is a good source of potassium and calcium, thus helping to get rid of thigh cramps and preventing their recurrence in future.
Steps to Use Blackstrap Molasses to Cure Thigh Cramp:
- Add 1 tbsp of black strap molasses in a glass of warm milk or water.
- Drink this solution and you will get quick relief from pain.
- You can also drink this mixture once or twice a day.
- This will help to cure thigh cramps effectively.
8.) Yellow Mustard to Get Relief from Thigh Cramp
Yellow mustard has been used to treat thigh cramps and is also an age-old remedy. It works instantly and provides you great relief from the aching thigh. Due to the presence of acetic acid it helps to promote acetylcholine in the body. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter which helps the muscles to work properly.
Steps to Use Yellow Mustard to Get Rid of Leg Cramp:
- Simply consume 1 tsp of yellow mustard.
- You can also drink warm milk after having yellow mustard.
- It helps to relieve pain and soreness in your muscles.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Thigh Cramp Fast
ACV is a rich source of potassium which helps relieve thigh cramps or any other muscle cramps. Low potassium is the common cause of muscle cramps. There are many nutrients in apple cider vinegar that control the fluid balance in the body. Also, the anti-inflammatory properties of AVC helps to ease the muscle pain.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Thigh Cramp Treatment:
- Add 1 tbsp of ACV in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this tonic solution once a day to prevent thigh cramps.
- Repeat regularly, until you get effective results.
10.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Thigh Cramp
Using a cold compress on the sore muscles provide complete relief from a thigh cramp. The cold temperature reduces inflammation and numbs the pain.
Steps to Use Cold Compress to Treat Leg Cramp:
- Take a thin towel and wrap some ice cubes in it.
- Place it on the affected area for 15 minutes.
- Repeat it in every 2 hours for one or two days.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Thigh Cramp:
- Don’t wear tight clothes around your legs.
- Wear comfortable shoes that provide support.
- If you are overweight then lose your weight.
- See your doctor in extreme conditions.
- Stretch your leg up for a few minutes.
- Take plenty of rest before and after exercise.
- This will help to recover your muscles and prevent cramping.
- Wear thin socks if you get muscle cramps at night.
- It will help to promote smooth blood flow.
- Do some light exercise for 5 minutes before bedtime.
- This helps to warm up your muscles and it will increase circulation.
- You can also drink a glass of warm milk before bedtime.
- Keep your muscles warm to prevent muscle cramping during winters.
- If you suffer from chronic muscle cramps then you should take minerals and multi-vitamin supplements.