This article will tell you the ways to treat a torn toenail fast and naturally. Do you often experience torn toenail? Is your toenail becomes fragile? If yes, then you should try to treat it as soon as possible. Well, a torn toenail, especially from inner skin hurts the most. Many times you unintentionally chip away at your nail polish or you rip your nail on the car door, and you’re left with a torn nail – in severe cases, you could even split a nail from your nail bed. Many conditions can cause tender torn or separated nails. However, the problem can be cured, if you follow below given remedies and take good care of your torn nail.
The nail bed is the soft area of skin under the nail plate, which is the solid surface of the nail. Cells at the bottom of the nail bed provide a good texture and produce the coating of a protein called keratin. Keratin builds the nail plate and fixes it to the nail bed. When your nail separates or tears, the nail matrix produces the new nail.
Both, the splitting of nails and nail separation can be hurtful, and they don’t cure quickly. All you can do is wait for the nail to grow again. However, there are a few easy steps that can help to speed up the nail growth and stop the tearing and splitting of nails in the future. Read this article, what you can do to treat your torn or broken nail.
Causes of Torn Toenail:
- Trauma – It generally takes something pretty severe to break or crack your toenail–for example, falling something heavy on your toe. A toenail can also tear due to repetitive minor traumas, like the hitting of a toenail against the toe box of your sports shoes, or if you play a sport that puts your feet a lot. Dancers are also vulnerable to cracked or torn nails.
- Too much moisture – It can be a one of the major reasons behind torn toenails. If your feet are constantly being wet and dry, then your toenails can grow weaker and break or split.
- Less moisture – Less moisture in an area with very dry air can involve your nails, causing them to split and dry out.
- Toenail infections – Untreated toenail disease can also be a one of the reasons of torn toenail.
- Poor Diet or Illness – It is also a reason for torn toenail. When your body doesn’t get enough nutrients, it shows up in your toenails. It is because when you don’t get enough food in general or you don’t eat food that is a rich source of minerals and vitamins you need. For example, anemia or iron deficiency is often is a sign of nail problems.
Best Ways to Treat a Torn Toenail:
1.) Dealing with Trauma to Treat a Torn Toenail
Below mentioned tips are best to treat a torn toenail fast and naturally at home:
- If your nail is fractured or torn due to a known trauma, then you must check your toe for further damage. If there’s blood loss, press in the area with a clean cloth and cover it with the dressing to stop the bleeding. If there’s a portion of nail hanging off, trim or cut it down from the closet.
- Gently clean the affected area, particularly, if you’re in a location where gravel or dirt might settle into your skin or nail bed.
- Apply an antibiotic balm and cover it with a dressing, If you find any real damage to the nail bed or toe.
2.) Repair to Treat a Torn Toenail
If you’re not dealing with any trauma like a cracked toe, or any injury and you just want to keep a torn nail together awaiting the new part grows in, then you have a number of options. Try the following methods to treat a torn toenail naturally:
Nail Repair Kits
- You can purchase nail repair kits in drug stores. The acrylic solution in these nail paints can paint on your nail, and then you can paint over using nail polish if you wish.
- Some people do not use the kits and just use clear nail paints to hold the nail jointly.
Nail Polish With Coffee Filter/Tea Bag
- Coffee and tea bags are also effective measures to cure torn nails.
- Take a clean, unused, empty, unfolded tea or coffee filter bag and cut out a piece that will cover the affected nail.
- Apply a covering of clear nail polish to your nail. Wait for a few seconds, then, before the polish dries out, compress the filter patch onto the nail.
- Paint one more clear coat of polish over the filter patch. Let it dry, if you wish, you can now put a coat of colored polish on it.
- Keep the patch in place until your nail grows out and pushes the tear far enough up that you can cut back to a whole nail.
- Yes, just paste it together. As long as you don’t have open injuries or you can glue your fingers to your toes or any close by objects, this is all right and it’s easier to remove using a nail remover.
3.) Treat Regrowing Nails to Treat a Torn Toenail
- Wear an appropriate pair of socks and shoes. Avoid wearing shoes that tighten the toenails. Else, select pairs that have enough space for you to twist your toes around.
- Trim Toenails. Cut down the toenails frequently. Leaving the nails lengthy increases your risk that they will get trapped in something and split. Also, avoid drawing on the nails as this can result in tearing the tissue.
- Moisturize Your Toe Nails. Use moisturizing lotion, vegetable oil or creams that have humectants in them such as phospholipids, lactic acid or urea to the feet can help prevent the nails from becoming brittle. This can reduce your risk of cracking. If you already have torn your nail, avoid moisturizing conditions like cleaning or washing the dishes as revealing the damaged nail to moisture can raise your risk of infection.
Treat Nail Fungus to Avoid Torn Toenail
Torn toenail can also be the reason of toenail fungus. Nail fungus makes your nails brittle and fragile. Nail fungus is an infection of the nail that looks white or yellow nail. It tends to spread and causes the toenail to grow thick, discolor and crumbled around the corners. It makes up to 50% of the nail disorders.
Tips to Prevent Torn Toenail from Fungus:
- Apply some tea tree oil as it contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties to avoid toenail fungus and ingrown toenail.
- You can also use apple cider vinegar to get rid of toe nail fungus fast. Just dilute ACV with water and apply it on the affected area properly.
- Lavender oil is also beneficial for treating toe nail fungus. It consists of antibacterial properties. Just apply lavender oil properly on the toenail and make sure you apply on edges, in between the fingers as well.
- Lemon also helps prevent the spread of fungal and bacterial infection in the toenail. It also helps make your nails stronger.
- Apply Vitamin E oil gently on your toe nail to get rid of toenail fungus.
- Onion is also an effective way to prevent torn toe nail due to fungus. Just rub some slices over the nail for 2-3 times a day.
- Yogurt consists of probiotic food that helps in treating the problem of toenail fungus and foot fungus fast.
- Turmeric consists of antiseptic properties. So apply a turmeric paste to avoid toe nail fungus.
- Dip infected torn toe nail in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes to treat toenail fungus.
- Soak your toenail in the Listerine mouthwash as it consists of antibacterial properties that help cure nail fungus and grow nails faster.