In this article we will discuss different peppermint oil uses and benefits. Peppermint oil is an essential oil prepared from the peppermint plant. This plant is a hybrid of water mint and spearmint. It is mainly found in Europe and North America. Peppermint oil is generally used in foods, drinks, home care, and cosmetics. It is also useful and effective for arrays of health condition. It can be taken orally as a dietary supplement or topically as a skin ointment or cream. The excellent combination of anti-microbial properties and freshness of mint helps freshen bad breath and digestive ailments. It is also quite useful in treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). It also acts as an anti nausea and soothing agent. Being rich in pleasant smell, it is a perfect deodorizer for home. It keeps your home free from microbial infestation. Peppermint oil is one of the most exploited home remedies. Some of the peppermint oil uses and benefits are mentioned below. Continue with this article to get maximum benefits out of this excellent essential oil.
Peppermint Oil Uses and Benefits (Various Use of Peppermint Oil)
1.) Peppermint Essential Oil Use as a Natural Energy Booster
Peppermint oil has a distinctive fragrance. This fragrance is both mood elevating and refreshing. It also helps boost mental and physical alertness. Peppermint oil, when inhaled and absorbed increases the circulation of oxygen and nutrients to the brain. This results in mental boost and has an energizing effect on both body and mind.
- Take a bath by adding a few drops of peppermint oil in bath water.
- Also, place a few drops of peppermint oil on your palm and rub together.
- Inhale it before you workout or anytime throughout the day.
- It will refresh and make you feel energized.
2.) Cure Respiratory Problems with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil has the quality to unlock your airways and work as a decongestant agent. It helps in giving relief from nasal congestion. Here is the method to use it.
- Mix peppermint oil, coconut oil and eucalyptus essential oil together to make a homemade vapor rub.
- This homemade vapor rub helps reduce the symptoms of respiratory problems, such as asthma and bronchitis.
3.) Treat Muscle Pain with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil acts as a brilliant natural painkiller and muscle relaxant. It specifically helps soothe back pain, muscle soreness, and gives relief from tension headache. According to a study, when peppermint oil is applied topically, its pain relieving properties helps get rid of Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. It was also found that peppermint oil, menthol, capsaicin, eucalyptus, and other herbal measures may also be helpful.
4.) Peppermint Essential Oil Effects on Hormones
Peppermint oil helps balance hormones and gives relief from symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome also known as PCOS. A recent study showed that peppermint oil may also have hormone balancing properties. It can be therapeutic for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS. The study has also confirmed that peppermint has antiandrogen properties.
5.) Get Rid of Nausea with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil helps reduce nausea which is encouraged by chemotherapy. Plus, it is better than any other typical medical treatments. Here is the method to use it for nausea treatment.
- Simply, add a few drops of peppermint oil in boiled water and drink it.
- Rub 1 to 2 drops of peppermint oil at the back of your ears.
- You can also have peppermint tea to treat nausea.
6.) Maintain Oral Hygiene with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is quite effective in maintaining oral hygiene. It helps freshen up breath and also reduces cavities. It is a 1,000-year-old remedy that has been used to naturally freshen up bad breath. Peppermint oil can be a better mouthwash than the mouthwash chemicals chlorhexidine at reducing cavities.
- You can easily make a self-made toothpaste, mouthwash. Just add a few drop of peppermint essential oil in water.
- Swish with this water for a few minutes before spitting it out.
- Other than that you can put a drop of peppermint essential oil under your tongue followed with a glass of water to freshen up breath.
7.) Treat Headache with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint also has curative properties that are quite helpful in curing headache. Peppermint oil has distinct qualities that help to improve circulation. It helps heal the stomach problems and helps relax tensed muscles. All of these above conditions can be responsible for causing tension headaches or migraines. Such qualities make peppermint oil an awesome natural treatment. Peppermint oil also has significant analgesic resulted with a diminution in sensitivity to headaches.
- To get relief from headache, apply the peppermint oil to the forehead and temples.
8.) Peppermint Essential Oil Suppresses Hunger
Peppermint Oil is very effective in reducing hunger cravings. Breathing in peppermint essential oil can prevent you from munching unnecessary. Also, it makes you feel full faster.
- Keep a diffuser with you at the dinner table. This will make you eat less.
- If you can’t arrange a diffuser, you can apply a few drops on your temples or chest.
- Other than that you can take a couple of deep sniffs from the peppermint container before eating.
9.) Cure Fever with Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint acts as a fever reducer due to its fine cooling effects. It is an outstanding natural treatment to lower down your fever. It is very effective in children.
- Simply, mix both peppermint essential oil and coconut oil together.
- Rub it on the child’s neck and on the sole to help even out a fever in place of aspirin or other drugs.
10.) Treat Sunburn with Peppermint Essential Oil
Oil has healing properties which is very effective in treating skin problems such as sunburn. Peppermint essential oil helps hydrate damaged skin. It also helps get rid of pain from sunburns. Here is the method.
- Just mix peppermint essential oil with a little bit of coconut oil and massage it directly on the affected area.
- You can also use oil as a natural homemade sunburn spray to get relief from pain and support healthy skin renewal.