This article is about grey hair and different home remedies for greying hair. Does that grey hair makes you look older? Well, you are not alone, who is facing this problem. More than 60% of Americans witness grey hair before 30’s. The original color of hair turns grey when the production of the pigment, responsible for the original color of hair stops. However, the problem can be cured. There are many cosmetics which promise to keep greying hair at the bay, but they are too expensive and their results are not certain as well. Thanks to the home remedies which not only fits the pocket but are effective as well. Read more to know about different homer remedies for greying hair.
Causes of Greying Hair:
Different Home Remedies for Greying Hair:
1.) Gooseberry to Treat Greying Hair
Gooseberry is a boon for hair. It is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C, and anti-aging properties that prevents greying of hair. Moreover, it promotes hair growth and improves the quality of the strands. Drink one glass of Indian gooseberry regularly for healthy hair. Or apply gooseberry hair mask such as:
- Gooseberry with Coconut Oil – Boil 3-4 piece of Indian gooseberries in coconut oil, till it turns black. Let it cool then apply the oil in hair and wash them after 3-4 hours.
- Gooseberries with Fenugreek Leaves – Like gooseberries fenugreek is also loaded with many nutrients such as vitamin C, iron, and potassium etc. It promotes healthy hair. Grate 3-4 gooseberries, squeeze the leftover part in a bowl. Now add crushed fenugreek leaves in gooseberry juice and apply it on your hair. Wash it, when it dries.
- Gooseberry with Eucalyptus Oil – Soak 3-4 pieces of gooseberries for 2-3 hours, then add a T-spoon of eucalyptus oil in it. Leave it for another 3-4 hours and while applying the mixture, add fresh egg, lemon juice and yogurt. Wash your head when it dries.
2.) Coconut Oil Massage for Natural Hair Color
Coconut oil is one of the most effective home remedies for greying hair. It is the best natural conditioner. It makes hair bouncy, lustrous, manageable and retains the original color of the strands. For best results regularly massage with coconut oil and replace your regular eating oil with coconut oil. You can use it as following ways:
- Coconut Oil with Curry Leaves – Curry leaves are a rich source of Vitamin B. It preserves the natural pigment in hair follicles that provides the natural color to hair and controls hair greying. Warm the coconut oil and then add crushed curry leaves in it. Let it cool. Apply the oil with curry leaves on every strand. Leave it for 3-4 hours and then wash it with the gentle shampoo.
- Coconut Oil with Lemon – Being a citrus fruit lemon is a rich source of vitamin C. It prevents the hairs from greying and heal other hair related problem as well. Add lemon juice in coconut oil. Massage it gently on the scalp. To know more about coconut oil read coconut oil uses.
3.) Black Tea to Cure Grey Hairs
Black tea improves the quality of hair and prevents breakage of hair. Black tea contains more caffeine than coffee. Caffeine blocks DTH, a hormone that leads to hair fall and maintains the natural color of the hair. Apart from drinking black tea, you can also apply it on your hairs with different ingredients:
- Black Tea with Salt- Take one cup of strong black tea and add 1 tablespoon of salt in it. Massage your hair with the black tea and rinse it after an hour. To cure grey hair, follow this remedy regularly.
- Black Tea as a conditioner- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and then condition them with black tea.
4.) Henna as a Home Remedy for Greying Hair
Henna is cheap, natural and safest substitute of the chemicals, infused into the hair to get rid of greying hair. Apply henna on the scalp once in a month and from the first wash itself you will see the difference.
- The easiest way to apply henna is add 2-3 tablespoon of henna in your favorite hair oil and massage it properly. Leave it for 3-4 hours and then wash your hairs with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, add lemon juice, beetroot juice, egg white coffee powder along with yogurt, basil leaves, crushed fenugreek leaves in henna powder. Mix all the ingredients properly and apply it on the every strand of hair. Make sure that every strand is covered. Leave it for 4-5 hours and then wash your hair with the mild shampoo.
5.) Natural Hair Mask as a Remedy for Greying Hair
The combination of acacia concerns, soap nut, ecliptic alba along with henna, gooseberry and salt retains the natural color of the hair. Moreover, all these ingredients rejuvenate damaged hair, add shine, lustre and softness.
- Soak 3-4 pods of acacia concinna, 10-12 soap nuts and eclipta alba in a big bowl for a whole night. Next day boil it and add yogurt, henna, Indian gooseberry, lemon juice and salt into it. Apply this thick paste on your hair and wash it when it dries.
- Alternatively you can also use acacia concinna, soap nuts, eclipta alba as a natural shampoo. Replace your regular shampoo with this herbal shampoo.
6.) Almond Oil as a Home Remedy for Greying Hair
Almond oil is a rich source of Vitamin E. It is a natural remedy for premature greying of hair. It nourishes hair from the root and provides healthy strands. Moreover, it also treats other hair related problems such dandruff, hair loss, split ends and etc.
- Regularly massage your scalp with almond oil. Leave it overnight and next morning wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can add also add salt and Indian gooseberry juice in coconut oil to prevent the greying hair.
7.) Onion with Lemon Juice for Greying Hairs
Onion juice is one of the ideal home remedies for greying hair. It works as a tonic for hair. It contains sulphur which nourishes the hair follicles and prevents premature greying of hair.
- Peel 2-3 onions and then grate them. Squeeze the leftover part. Onion Juice is ready.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice in onion juice. Lemon juice adds shine and prevents excess oil from the hair.
- Apply the mixture on your hair and wash them after 3-4 hours. Onion has a strong smell, so make sure that you shampoo them properly.
8.) Rosemary as a Household Remedy for Greying Hairs
Rosemary promotes hair growth and when mixed with sage it shows miraculous results on hair. Both the ingredients improve the pigmentation process of hair and thus prevents premature hair greying. Moreover, it also treats dandruff and itchiness of the scalp.
- Take 2 cups of water and add dried rosemary. Add sage into it. Boil the water for a few minutes.
- Then leave this mixture for 2 hours and then apply it on the scalp and let it dry.
- Once it dries wash it with herbal or mild shampoo.
- For dark and shiny hair repeat this remedy 2-3 times in a week.
9.) Mustard Oil for Natural Color
Mustard oil is not only good for health in fact it is beneficial for hair as well. It is a most common oil that is found in every household. Mustard oil is a rich source of Vitamin A, D, E, K, calcium, iron and minerals. Vitamin A promotes hair growth and avoids premature hair greying.
- Boil 250 grams of mustard oil and add henna leaves in it.
- Boil it, till the leaves turn red in the oil.
- Apply this on your hairs and wash them after 3-4 hours.
- For black and shiny hairs repeat this remedy 2-3 times a week.
10.) Aloe-Vera for Wonderful Hairs
Aloe-Vera is infused with many nutrients which are beneficial for hair and skin as well. It is the best hair treatment and conditioner. It nourishes the damaged hair and stops hair fall.
- Regular drinking Aloe-Vera juice gives healthy and maintains the original color of the hairs.
- Alternatively, apply Aloe-Vera gel on your hair.
- Peel the upper layer of the plant and scratch the gel with the help of the spoon.
- Apply this gel on your hair.
- It is a therapeutic remedy to treat greying hair.